The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medicine|NewYork-Presbyterian offers courses for Weill Cornell Medical College students as early as the first year.
First-year courses include:
- Anatomy Laboratory — students participate in dissection of the heart and lungs
- Physiology of the Heart and Diseases of the Heart
Third- and fourth-year lectures:
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass and Postoperative Monitoring
- Surgical Treatment of Valvular Disease
- Surgical Treatment of Coronary Artery Disease
Third-year students can elect to do a one-week rotation with Cardiac Surgery. Third-year and fourth-year students can also elect to do a two-week or four week rotation called "Subinternship in Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery."